I had my 16 week check up with the OBGYN today, and realized that I have no updated on my pregnancy...here is what is going on!
How I am feeling-
I am feeling generally pretty good, hello 2nd trimester! Still tired, still peeing a lot, and starting with the round ligament pains in my lower abdomen/hips area... but really I feel good! Even the took brush nausea is not as bas as last time. I still get it some days, but it is not as consistent.
Things that are different from last pregnancy-
I feel like I am very different this pregnancy. Here are some of the noticeable changes....
1. I am eating much better. I still have dessert most nights and will give in the my food cravings. But I am much more aware of what I am eating throughout the day. I am trying to eat "natures foods" as much as possible, lots of fruits and veggies. I also try to limit processed foods. As a general rule, I get to cheat and give it to my cravings as long as I also eat something good and natural to balance things out.
2. No more fast food! With my first pregnancy, I ate McDonald's way more than I should admit. I would drive home from work and be starving, but it was to early for dinner. So frequently I would stop for a small treat from a drive through to hold me over. I am not perfect this pregnancy, but I am MUCH better. I have only had McDonald's once and I felt gross when I was done.
3. I am not following the rules as strictly as I did the first time. Still no sushi or soft cheeses or alcohol (other than the tiny sip of the friend sitting next to me's drink, just to get the taste haha), but most other things I have been following the moderation is key motto. I have had a few hot dogs this summer, I had cold cuts twice, I am eating peanuts and peanut butter (last pregnancy I totally avoided it and ended up with a son with peanut/tree nut allergies... what the hell. Plus I have had follow up conversations with all of Ryan's specialists and they feel strongly that eating peanut products does not cause allergies, their is much more behind the science of the immune system. Anyway, nuts have a lot of great nutrients that your body needs when pregnant).
4. I am continuing to workout through this pregnancy so far (and hope to continue as long as I can). I still run a few times a week, I just don't go for as long. And I still workout at All-Star twice a week, I just modify the parts that I can't do. Starting in 2 weeks I am going to start prenatal yoga. So I will have the cardio with the running, strength training at the gym, and stretching/core/labor preparation with the yoga. I think its a good balance!
5. Like all moms say, I think about being pregnant much less. Its always on my mind, but I'm not as obsessed as I was with the first pregnancy. Life is going on.... we are super busy... Ryan is super active... I don't have time to sit around and be pregnant. But I do squeeze in the occasional nap if I am home with Ryan during nap time.
I have a list of things I want to do in preparation for this baby, but I haven't really done any of it. I am going to enjoy my summer and then get focused in September. Here are some things I am thinking about...
1. Order new furniture for Ryan's big boy room so that the current furniture can be for the baby
2. Christmas shop and wrap super early so that I do not have to do it while 9 months pregnant
3. Work on an Amazon wish list of the things we will need for new baby (I did actually start working on this last week)
4. Get bedding/decor for the new nursery (I am going with a gray and white baby elephant theme)
5. Take birthing classes (Hypnobirthing or Bradley classes)
6. Sell our house and move into new house :) Wishful thinking!
*We are not finding out the sex of the baby again, but we could in 2 weeks if we wanted to.
*We are playing the name game but nothing is decided yet (Patrick, Christopher, Reagan, Charlotte???)
*I am already panicking about having a MUCH shorter maternity leave than I had with Ryan. Besides the home move I think this is the biggest stress I have with the new baby coming. More about this another day.
* I feel like I am getting bigger, faster with this baby. Normal for 2nd pregnancy, right?
*I am really really missing my cocktails! Summer is a touch time to give up drinking!
Current weight- 110 (gained 5 lbs)
Baby's current heart rate- 163
Week 14 picture:
Week 16 picture: