The Taynors

The Taynors

Friday, September 16, 2011

New Status- Work from Home mom

If you follow my blog, you probably read my very, long panicked vent about going back to work in September.  Well things got even worse in July and August.  I was an emotional basket case.  I spent most days having a nervous break down and/or hysterically crying about going back to work.  To be honest, I was having a rough time with many things in life but returning to work was the biggest of the weights on my sholders.  The logical side of me knew that I needed to go back to work.  We needed the money to be able to eventually accomplish the goals we have for our family and there was no reason for me to HAVE to stay home.  But I just couldn't come to terms with it.  I wanted to be home with my baby.  I couldn't stand the idea of leaving at 6am every morning (before he even wakes up) and not getting back until after 4 every afternoon.  Then I knew the work load that goes along with my job would mean that the time I was spending with Ryan would be compromised by grading papers, lesson planning, and doing school preparations. 

Anyway, I was feeling totally frustrated and hopeless and knew something had to change.  After many conversations... and heated arguements... my husband and I decided it was best for our family for me to extend my leave of absence from teaching.  My return to work date is now February 1, 2012.  In the mean time I needed to find some ways to make money!  The best solution for us was for me to go back to being a hair stylist. 

Here is the new plan.  Mike is currently transforming the garage into an at home salon.  I am going back to take some refresher courses on haircutting and coloring.  I am also really trying to spread the word about my new "business."  I do have a pretty good client base to start that I have been working with while teaching, but I need that to double!  In addition to working with hair, I am also trying to get some part time gigs as an English tutor.  So basically I think I now officially fit into the work from home category.  I spend my days coming up with ways to market myself, researching part time work opportunities, scheduling appointments, creating a business plan, etc. and then I spend many evenings actually doing hair.   At this point I am not tutoring, but I am actively working on that.  I have many goals (how many clients I need, how much money I need to make) and I am really working to hard to make this work.  I would love to be able to stay in this work from home mom category.  I believe its the best way for me to spend time with my son AND help earn some money that will go towards our family goals. 

Wish me luck!  Any suggestions on how  to make this profitable are welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment