The Taynors

The Taynors

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Finished Home Reno (almost)

We finally finished the renovations going on downstairs.  It went from a 4 day project to a 11 day project, and that was with Mike, my dad, and my father in law working on it almost all day every day.  It was a nightmare for me and the two kids.  I thought Mike and I would kill each other.  I would get out of the house as soon as I could in the am, and come back as late as I could at night... I was not comfortable living in my own home.  The house was sooo dusty, it was cold, there were no floors, and it there was junk for Ryan to get into all over the place.  Each step of the project had a delay.  The floors didn't come up easy, the new wood floors were delayed in their arrival, the electric work was complicated... all normal renovation complications, but I didn't have any time for this!

Add to the chaos, this was the week we ended up in the hospital with Patrick and we had 2 snow storms.  What the Hell!  I feel like the big man above was playing games with me.  When we left for the hospital on Friday 1/31 the house was a disaster... still no floors, still a dirty mess, a work in progress, a construction zone.  While I stayed at the hospital I told Mike that I didn't care what he had to do... make sure my house was put back together by time we were discharged!  And he did.  Just in time.  He finished the house on Sunday 2/2, Super Bowl Sunday, the day before starting his new job.

Anyway, it is now done and looks beautiful.  We still have a few things to finish.  He needs to caulk and touch up the crown and base board moldings, and I need to decorate (new rugs, re-finish our lamps, wall decor, throw pillows, etc), but at least it is a livable space.  The rest I can do over time.  Here are some pictures:

Our general goal was for a lighter, more coastal/beach feel.  Before we had a lot of brown, reds, golds (almost a wine theme) but it was starting to feel a bit dark and yellow.  So I wanted more neutral and light.  We plan to add blues, greens, and coral colors as the accents and use accessories like  light houses, coral, sailboats to make it feel "coastal".

Kitchen:
We painted the walls, got a new stove, changed the light fixture, added a shelf, and got new hardware on the pantry door. 

Before-

 After-





Dining Area:
The wood floors covered this area, new curtains.  Eventually we will have new area rugs, a new light fixture, and cushions for the chairs. 

Before-


After-
 

Living Room:
New wood floors, new light over the couch, new crown and baseboard molding, new hardware on all doors, painted exterior front door and new curtains.  Still to come is the rest of the decor and the touch up of the moldings.

Before-



After-
 






So what do you think!  Definitely some work to do... but its coming along.  The best part- we can live and play in it!!  Woo hoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment