The Taynors

The Taynors

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Importance of Breastfeeding

Breastfeeding vs. formula... a very hot topic.  I have decided that it is VERY important to me that I do everything in my power to breastfeed my baby.  I have noticed that less and less people take the time to really try to breastfeed.  It seems to me that other women my age are very quick to give it up or go straight to formula feeding.  I am not 100% sure why this is happening, so I decided the best thing I can do before the baby is born is to educate myself on the topic.  I have read two books (Breastfeeding Naturally and The Breastfeeding Companion) and I took a nursing class at the hospital.  I am hoping that if I am more aware of how it works, tips for successful breastfeeding, and what problems might come up... then I will be able to be a breastfeeding mommy.

Don't get me wrong, I know there are many things that can make breastfeeding difficult and that it is a full time job, but I believe it is worth it for the sake of your child.  Research has proven that a mothers milk is better than any kind of formula.  Below is a list of all of the benefits to breastfeeding...
(Thanks Jackie, I stole some of this from you)

EVIDENCE SUGGESTS:
*Breastfed children are proven to have higher IQ's.
*Breastfed children have higher visual acuity (less need for glasses).
*Breastfed children get fewer ear infections.
*Breastfed children have improved muscle development of their face and have less need for orthodontics later in life.
*Breastfed children are less likely to have to get their tonsils out.
*Breastfed children have fewer and less sever upper respiratory infections, less wheezing, and less influenza
*Breastfed children may have lower cholesterol as adults.
*Breastfed children have less diarrhea, fewer gastrointestinal infections.
*Breastfed children have a lower risk of food allergies and a lower risk of Crohn's disease.
*Breastfed children respond better to vaccinations and decreases the risk of childhood cancer.
* Breastfed children are at a reduced risk of getting diabetes.
*Breastmilk is easier on a baby's kidneys
*Breastfed children are less likely to have appendicitis
*Breastfed children are less likely to have arthritis
*Breastfed children have less allergic eczema
*Breastfed children are leaner at one year of age and less likely to be obese later in life.
*Breastfed children have less constipation.
*Breastfed children and breastfeeding mothers have lower risks of breast cancer
..... This is just the beginning of the benefits to breastfeeding.
 
Anyway with all of that being said, I am motivated and dedicated to breastfeeding.  I feel it is really important to have a support system while going through this.  Without an understanding partner, friends, mother, etc. it can be easy to give up.  I will need to surround myself with people who respect my decision and are understanding of the process.  I am lucky that my mother completely agrees with me and my husband 100% supports the decision to breastfeed.
 
I guess now we just wait to see what happens when baby arrives....

No comments:

Post a Comment