The Taynors

The Taynors

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Running and Working Out

I would never have thought that I would consider running and working out two different things.  In the past, if I even ran for 5 minutes... that would count as my work out.  But these days, they are two different things. 

I am really proud of myself for some of the changes I have made with respect to exercises.  I have finally gotten on a good schedule and I feel like I am back in shape (probably even better shape than I was before getting pregnant).  I actually think I got even better at making the effort to work out once I went back to work, because then I was on a set schedule.  I had certain days/times that became workout days.  Most of my blog posts are written more for my own record, and this is one of them.  Here is my current running and working out routine so that I have it when I look back.

I started working out at my brothers gyms (All Star Sports Academy) back in September and I have been going regularly ever since.  They offer classes at 7am, 9:30am, and 8:00pm Monday through Friday, and at 9:30 on Saturdays.  I go to all of the above.  My goal is to go at least 3 times a week, but I try for 4.  Currently my schedule is Monday and Thursday mornings, and Tuesday and Wednesday at 8:00pm.  I would love to go every morning, but working kind of gets in the way of that.  Its hard to keep motivated to go back out to the gym at 8pm at night (sitting on the couch watching TV is tempting) but I have become kind of addicted to how I feel after working out.  Sooo that's my goal for the week.  The best part about working out at Brian's gym is that it keeps me interested and motivated.  Every class is a little bit different, it mixes cardio, plyometrics, weight training, etc. all into one session.  Plus the people that work out there are great so it makes the classes fun.  I am glad I finally got up the nerve to start working out with him.

In addition to that, I am officially in training for the Disney half marathon next February.  I really really really want to accomplish this goal BUT that means I have A LOT of work to do.  As of last month, I could not run a full minute without feeling like I was going to die, never mind 1 mile, and definitely not 13 miles!  I decided I needed to find an actual training program and get started ASAP if I was really going to do this.  I am starting by training for a 5K, then I will move on to longer distances (like an 8 or 10K) and then start the half marathon program.  Currently I am on week 5 of a couch to 5K type program.  I am proud to announce that during my 3 mile run the other day, I was able to do the first 1.5 miles without walking and after a short break, I was able to run the rest of the time!!! Woo Hoo huge accomplishment for me.  Most people would laugh at this, but running a full mile is a big deal to me and my first step.  So its now part of my routine to run at least 3 times a week (Thursday and Friday evenings, and Sunday morning), sometimes by myself and sometimes with Ryan in the jogging stroller.  I have no excuse now that the weather is getting nicer, I just need to get out there and run as often as possible.

All of that being said, I feel pretty good.  I feel strong and healthy and in way better shape than I was a few weeks ago.  I really hope I stay motivated and keep this up for the long term!

No comments:

Post a Comment