The Taynors

The Taynors

Sunday, April 9, 2017

Finally Made Some Career Moves

Finding a new job/career has been a frequent blog topic for me.  Its been a couple years that I don't feel excited or motivated by my job, have been searching for better options, weighing out ideas of going back to school.  I know based on our family situation, I have to work, BUT I have the ability to work part time and with a flexible income.  On a personal level, I want to be motivated, have the opportunity to make decent money, and to feel like if I am leaving my kids to go to work and juggling crazy childcare schedules, it better be worth it.  

Going back to school for Occupational Therapy or Counseling was an option, going back to teaching (really never wanted this to happen), going back to working in a salon... all possibilities.  But the one that kept coming back to me and seeming to check off the most boxes in my career goals was Real Estate!  So winner winner, I finally decided to take the leap.  Something hit me in December that I needed to make this change, stop talking about it and actually do it.  I have been interested in real estate for years.  I was jealous when Mike did it a couple of years ago.  It was an attainable goal to get my license without spending a fortune on tuition.  And I really think I could be good at it.  I didn't want to look back a year from now and think, man I really wish I had already made the change.

December, the decisions was made.  January, I took the 2 week intense licensing class and passed my test.  By February I was hired by an amazing group.  And in March I was officially working as a real estate agent.  So far I love it.  I am really excited that I finally made a change and I can see myself doing this and succeeding at this for a long time!  Lets hope I am right :)

Thank you to my wonderful friend Erin, I was able to get in with the Ocean 6 group with RE/MAX.  They are a group of 10 agents that are all super successful and young and work their butts off.  She loves working with them and has been asking me to join the team for a couple years.  I knew I wanted to be part of the team as soon as I met them the first time.  Its a super supportive group, lots of training, everyone backs each other up... perfect opportunity to learn as a new agent.  

I am currently still working for the chiropractor while I am also working real estate.  Its a bit crazy right now, I am working pretty much every day of the week at one of the two jobs (and Mike is starting with a new job that has very long hours, lots of travel, and requires him to be away from home overnight several nights a week- ahh things are a bit stressful lol).  But I know its all important and helping us both make progress towards our goals so we are figuring it out.   The plan is for me to work at the office up until maternity leave, about June 1st.  Then take my official time off, but probably not return to the office after maternity leave.  I can't make that decision officially yet, I need to build the real estate business and make sure its a smart decision for our family, but my goal is to be able to stop the office work and work Real Estate full time.

Ironically, just like when I was pregnant with Patrick 3.5 years ago, its a year of transitions.  New job and new baby!  We never let things get boring in the Taynor House!  

Anyway, wish me luck on my new career venture.  I feel really really good about this decision.  The business career women deep down inside me is motivated to kick butt and make some money for our family!  I have lofty goals, but I think I can hack it.  Now I just need to get my first deal to closing and get this new agent monkey off my back!  

 

1 comment: