The Taynors

The Taynors

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Vacation #3- Key West

Mike and I just had the opportunity to go to Key West for a friends wedding (congrats Nick and Heather). I  had never been to Key West before and didn't really have any expectations either way.  It was not on my list of must go places, but I was excited to get to go on an adult vacation with Mike and our friends.  Well I must say, I LOVED Key West.  We had an awesome vacation.

We stayed at The Southernmost Hotel on the Beach and that was a great choice.  The hotel was beautiful, people were great, location was perfect, and it was right next door for the wedding reception.  If we went back I would definitely stay there again.

Our week was full of touristy things and wedding events.  It all started on Wednesday by renting a convertible to drive from Fort Lauderdale down to Key West, then when we arrived we pretty much got checked in and ready for the Bachelor and Bachelorette party.  I experienced my very first drag queen show... very interesting to say the least.  All the girls had a great time.  Unfortunately since we were up since 3am, I bailed on the party after the drag show...but the girls continued on with the bachelorette party.  Then Thursday we spent most of the day by the beach and pool (well Mike spent most of the day recovering from his bachelor party) and then we went onto Duval Street at night for dinner and to meet the whole gang for drinks at Irish Kevins.  Friday was our total tourist day.  We went to see the Southernmost Point, we rented bicycles to tour around the island, and we did a jet ski tour around the island.  Then we ended the perfect day with the rehearsal dinner.  The dinner was held on a sunset dinner cruise which was really beautiful.  I have lots of great pictures to post soon.  At that point, I probably should have gone home... but we all thought bar hopping was the better option.  I had TONS of fun...but definitely drank to much.  We stopped at Rum Runners, Irish Kevins, and a dueling piano bar.  Because Friday was a long day with LOTS of drinking, Saturday morning was spent in bed while the guys went on a fishing trip. Luckily it did not take me long to feel better, because I did a few of the girls hair and makeup for the wedding.  I was excited to get to spend the day with the girls and be a big part of the wedding prep.  Everyone looked beautiful, I had a fun day, and I made some money to help pay our vacation expenses!!

Saturday night was the wedding which of course was great.  Nick and Heather got married at The Reach Resort, on a Pier over the ocean.  The cocktail hour was up on the balcony overlooking the water and the reception was in a ballroom.  It was a great set up for a destination wedding.  We danced (and sweat) the night away.  I think Heather really loved every minute.  Sunday was our last day so we did a little bit more time at the pool and ended the afternoon/night with more bar hopping.  That night we went to Willie T's, Blue Heaven, and Better Than Sex for dessert.    Perfect end to a great vacation.

I feel very lucky to have been able to take this vacation with Mike (we reallllllly needed it) and to spend some quality time with a lot of our friends.  We decided we should go back and do it again in 2 years... I hope that actually happens! 

No comments:

Post a Comment