The Taynors

The Taynors

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Ryan's First Haircut... Well Just the Bangs

In my opinion, Ryan has beautiful curly hair that I LOVE!  But I have gotten sooooooo tired of people asking, "When are you going to finally cut his hair?!"  If he was a girl this would be easy, a little clip or pony tail, or a little head band and it would be great.  But that is not socially acceptable for boys (nor would I ever do that to him), so it has just been curly hair that hangs all wild.  I think its a great surfer dude look.  The back and sides are not the problem, its the bangs.  They really have gotten a little bit too long and they are always hanging in his eyes.  I can tell he was starting to get annoyed by them and I had to finally come to terms with the idea of cutting his hair.  The compromise was that I would cut his bangs, but I am not ready for the full hair cut just yet.

Reasons I don't want to cut his hair:
1.  I can't cut away the curls
2.  I am afraid that if I cut the curls off, they will never come back (I guess I was traumatized as a kid because that is what happened to my brothers curls and I can remember my mom always telling the story about cutting off his curls)
3.  Ryan does not sit still for 3 seconds, never mind the few minutes it would take to cut his hair.  Seriously, there is not a single thing that I can do to get him to sit still (taking 10 seconds to cut his bangs was hard enough).  I have done several other toddlers first hair cuts and they have been fine... but Ryan is not a normal kid and I think giving him a full hair cut would be mission impossible
4.  He likes to play with his hair when he is tired and as he falls asleep at night... I can't take that away from him!  It is seriously one of the cutest things ... pictures to follow.

Anyway, I totally see the irony in the hair dressers child being the one that desperately needs a haircut.

Tonight was the night.  Mike held him on his lap, my mom took the picture, and I made the cut.  It was seriously 1 actual cut and then a quick blending of the bangs and the side, the whole thing probably took 30 seconds.  But it was traumatizing none the less. 

Currently I do not like it at all, I think he looks like a giant dork (but my cute, lovable dork).  It is probably going to take me a few days to get use to it... or maybe a few weeks for them to grow back.  We will see how it goes.  Here are some pictures to document the event.
 
This is what his hair looked like before the bang cut...


 
Now here is the action shots... not the best pictures but you get the idea (side note... we choose to do this at 6:30pm.  I must have been going a bit crazy because this is normally witching hour at our house, not the best time for a first hair cut).


(please excuse the droolly, itchy mess that is my son by the end of the day... and they aren't really that short, the are just brushed to the side)
 
After bath time I tried to get a few more shots...




The problem I have now is that the bangs are short and the rest of the hair is long... but without cutting the rest of his hair, there is not much I can do about it.  Here are some pictures of the back of his hair.  Remember it's wet, so the back will be much shorter after it dries completely.
 


 
I know what you are thinking, a bit mulletish.  Oh well, he will have to deal with it because I am the crazy mom that will not cut off the curls yet.
 
He is about done with the pictures for the night...
 
 
And finally, the super cute, playing with my curls before bed time pictures...
 


 
 
Regardless of his long bangs or short bangs or whether he now has cute curls or a mullet...I love him more each day and he is my handsome little man!
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment