The Taynors

The Taynors

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Birthday Details- Construction Truck Theme

I have been wanting to write this post for 3 weeks now, but I was waiting on pictures to post along with it.  My friend Jill is a great photographer and she came to the party to take pictures, your the best Jill!   Here is how I went about planning and preparing for Ryan's first birthday party.

Theme- I picked the theme because I wanted something very boyish but I didn't want to do something that he is going to ask for in a few years.  So I figured trucks are very boy but not a common request (especially not construction trucks).

Decorations-  The initial idea came from a birthday catalog.  So I went to birthday express and did some brainstorming.  I didn't just want to buy the whole birthday set, but it was a good place to start getting ideas.  From there we did the basic things like plates, balloons, constructions hats and cones.





Banners- I wanted to have the birthday banners that a lot of people are using at kids birthday parties (happy birthday, high chair banner, 0-12 month pictures).  The debate was whether I should make them myself or have them done.  I know I could have made them and they would have been fine... but I decided to contact a friend of mine from growing up and ask her to do them.  She does a great job, and these banners came out WAY better than if I did them myself.  I highly recommend Uniquely Me Design if you are looking to have decorative banners made for any occasion (you can also find her on Facebook)!  Thanks Tiffany!





The Things I Made:  Now that I had the basic decorations and my banners, I had some ideas of what I could do to personalize it.  I did a little bit of research online and I found a file that contained all different things to use for a construction themed party.  You can print it all out using card stock paper and make your own decorations.  So from that file I made construction signs, the tags for the favors, labels for the water bottles, and decorations to put in with the food.

Then I wanted to do something with some of my favorite pictures from Ryan's first year, so I made a photo collage in the shape of the number 1 to hang at the party.






Food-  I kept the food pretty simple.  I ordered sandwich platters and between my mom, mother in law, and sister in law, they handled the sides and salads.  The party was at noon so I just did a light lunch.  I had beer and wine (its not a party in my family without the booze haha).  Plus I wanted to make sure everyone had room for dessert.

Cake and Favors-  My sister in law was the one to get us our awesome cake!  She found a baker by her that does beautiful custom cakes, and Ryan's turned out great!






In addition to the cake, I made home made "Dirt" pudding for dessert and chocolate cake pops for favors.  This was my first experience with making cake pops, the first round went terrible.  But once I got the hang of it they weren't so bad.  I would make them again for another occasion.  The hardest part was wrapping and tagging them after the chocolate shell hardened. 






And lastly, Gymboree had a whole construction truck clothing line this spring, so I was able to get a cute shirt that went along with the theme!


Overall, I think it was a good day.  I was disappointed about the abrupt ending but there is nothing I can do about that. 




No comments:

Post a Comment